Would you like to learn a shortcut to happiness?
That’s right. Just do nothing…for as long as you can.
It’s harder than it sounds. We can sit in front of the television or movie screen for hours, yet if we sit down with no agenda, it’s difficult! (Or at least it used to be for me.)
If you are a person who likes to go, go, GO, let me share with you the benefits I received when I learned to just be still.
- My body loosened up. I didn’t realize how tense my body gets when I am moving all day. My muscles work hard to support my active life.
- My breathing got deeper. Oxygen is a very important component of good health. My skin is brighter, my organs are happier, and I feel calmer.
- My problems got solved. This one is amazing! I found that when I am struggling with something, if I give up looking for the answer, the answer ALWAYS comes when I am relaxing. This is a tool that I use everyday now.
When I was a young mom with four kids, I could not sit down and take a time out. It was like I was running on frantic energy trying to keep up with it all. Over time, I realized that I would not be able to keep up the pace and I forced myself to build in some still time for me. Difficult!
Here is how I did it:
- I found a corner in my house and moved a cozy chair and lamp in it. I told the family that this was “mom’s corner” and I committed to sitting in it everyday, with a book or nothing at all.
- The first day–it was TOUGH sitting there for 5 minutes! What the heck? It was then that I set a goal to work up to sitting for 1 hour. WHOA!
- Day after day, I sat in that cozy corner and eventually I made it to one hour. It was one of the best things I have done for myself because now I can chill like the best of them. (Sometimes, too good! LOL)
Just to let you know…this counts as MEDITATION. Checked that off my list, too.
I want to encourage you to build BEING STILL into your day. It has made me more balanced, relaxed, solved problems, and is my sure fire way to access happy feelings. It’s a good thing!